Welcome to Religious Education Support
Religious Education Support is part of the Professional Development Service for Teachers (PDST) and is funded by the Teacher Education Section of the Department of Education and Skills. The service provides continuing professional development (CPD) opportunities for teachers of Junior and Leaving Certificate Religious Education (JCRE and LCRE) for State examination.
The role of Religious Education Support may be outlined as follows:
- Provision of quality CPD activities (workshops etc) for teachers of Junior and Leaving Certificate Religious Education (JCRE & LCRE), facilitated through the local Education Centres
- Fostering reflective practice, learning communities and the sharing of expertise among teachers of JCRE & LCRE
- Liaising with principals, teachers, DES, the RTAI, and other educational partners to support quality teaching and learning in JCRE and LCRE
- Support for schools introducing JCRE / LCRE for the first time
- Publication of our professional journal ‘Teaching Religious Education’
- Dealing with queries through our online Forum on http://www.ress.ie/forum/ and management of our website.
Religious Education for JCRE and LCRE is part of the national responsibility of Conor Harrison, National Co-ordinator for Cultural and Environmental Education and the JCSP, and the administrative base is PDST Head Office, Park West Business Park. Edel Maher is the R.E. Administrator and Gary Carley, Lorraine Gillespie and Katherina Broderick are Associates. Gary coordinates the operation of the Support Team of Local Facilitators who help design and facilitate CPD workshops while teachers’ queries are answered through the online forum. The forum also allows other registered R.E. teachers to respond to questions, thus sharing collective expertise and good practice.
We welcome your comments, suggestions and sharing of expertise. Please see our ‘Contacts’ link at the top of the page should you wish to contact us.